The Paleo Diet
The paleo diet has received a lot of attention lately in the media. But what’s this diet all about? And how can it be of benefit to you?
The paleo diet, short for paleolithic diet, is essentially a return to our caveman roots. It’s a diet that focuses on natural, whole foods like those eaten by our ancestors. Things like wild fish, game meat, nuts, fruits, and leafy greens are all options on the paleo diet.
So what’s so great about the paleo diet?
For starters, the paleo diet doesn’t have any room for processed, packaged, or preserved foods, which means that it’s low in sodium, sugar, and fat. It also doesn’t include any fried or junk food. All of these factors are great for losing weight and contributing to a healthy lifestyle.
Here are some more great benefits of the paleo diet:
- The increased protein intake helps curb cravings and keep your metabolism in high gear. This is also a great diet for supporting lean muscle mass, so if you weight train, you’ll get all the nutritional support you need.
- The greater focus on fruits and vegetables means more vitamin support overall. You’ll get more antioxidants and important minerals in your diet.
- Given the focus on foods like nuts and fish, you’ll increase your intake of essential fatty acids which support weight loss.
- Carbohydrate cravings are diminished over time because of the low carbohydrate intake. Low carbs also means a more toned look overall!
- You don’t need to count calories or measure potion sizes on this diet. Frequent meals will leave you feeling more satisfied throughout the day.
Overall, the paleo diet will significantly lower your intake of preservatives and other chemicals that are hard on your body. If you can, you should also be aiming for organic options whenever possible. This further mimics a caveman diet and will lower your intake of potentially harmful pesticides and herbicides.