Author Notes: Tell us about your recipe.
Makes 1 1/2 cups
- 1pound shelled raw peanuts
- 1tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 2teaspoons ground cayenne
- 1 1/2teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1teaspoon kosher salt (I use Morton’s)
- 2tablespoons brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Pour the peanuts onto a sheet tray lined with parchment or a Silicone baking mat. Roast for 20 to 25 minutes, checking frequently toward the end to make sure they don’t burn. Cool completely.
- Add the peanuts to a colander and set over your lined sheet tray. Use your hand to stir, stir, stir—the skins should gradually fall through the holes—until the peanuts are naked. You might want to listen to some music or turn on the TV.
- Plop the coconut oil into a small skillet over medium heat. When it’s melted and hot, add the cayenne and smoked paprika and remove the pan from the heat. Swirl until fragrant—this will take a matter of seconds—then quickly pour into another dish to prevent burning.
- Add the peanuts to a food processor and process for about a minute. At this point, the mixture should be crumbly and clumpy. Scrape down with a rubber spatula and mix around to redistribute. Add the chili oil, salt, and brown sugar. Continue to process for about a minute more until a smooth nut butter forms, scraping as needed.
- Taste and adjust, adding more salt, sugar, and cayenne as you see fit. Transfer to a jar and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.