How Many Peanuts Are in a Jar of Peanut Butter?

A jar of peanut butter sits next to peanuts and a spoon.

Peanut butter is a staple in many kitchens thanks to its near-endless possibilities. From peanut butter sandwiches to peanut sauces on stir-fry. But have you ever wondered how many peanuts it takes to make a jar of peanut butter?

Apparently, there are around 540 peanuts in a 12-ounce jar of peanut butter.

This large batch of peanuts is first shelled and then dry roasted for the peanut butter-making process. Next, they’re cooled and steeped in a hot liquid before being split in half to remove the peanut “heart”. Finally, the peanuts are ground into a delicious, creamy consistency.

The number of peanuts does depend on the brand and whether the peanut butter is crunchy or smooth. Smooth varieties contain slightly more peanuts due to their extra ground consistency. They include roughly 720 peanuts in comparison to crunchy peanut butter!

No matter what type of peanut butter you prefer, though, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) says a jar of peanut butter should have no less than 90% peanuts. The remaining 10% consists of sugar, salt, oil, molasses, and various ingredients.

The next time you finish off a jar of peanut butter, you know exactly how many peanuts it took to create that delicious spread. If you’re really a peanut butter lover, next time you’re craving some, why not try a peanut butter board.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


© 2020 Manzap.Com All rights reserved